A refreshing cold brewed iced tea perfect for hot summer days made sweet with lemon verbena honey simple syrup. Make this for your next summer gathering!
You know those recipes that sound really complicated but are actually super simple and easy to make? This is one of those.
I’m telling you now, this is the iced tea you’ll be drinking all summer.
It’s my cold brew iced tea recipe made fancy with a sweet and lemony with honey and lemon verbena.
This is perfect if you like to add something sweet to your iced tea.
This post contains affiliate links.
What I Used to Make This Iced Tea
- Loose leaf black tea
I like Assam or Earl Grey.
- Honey, water, and dried lemon verbena leaves
For the honey syrup.
To filter out the tea leaves
- Teaspoon and measuring cup
- Tall weck jars
To cold brew and store the tea.
- Saucepan with a spout
For easy pouring.
- Mini glass jug
Get one with a lid to store the simple syrup.
- Short glasses
For serving the iced tea.
- Ice cube tray
This one makes mini ice cubes.
Best Tea for This Recipe
I tried the lemon verbena honey simple syrup (just rolls off the tongue doesn’t it?) with different cold brews and it definitely worked the best with a stronger tea like oolong and black tea.
The richness from the honey and brightness from the lemon verbena was perfectly matched to the more robust flavors of a darker tea.
Also, I don’t add sweetener to any other kinds of tea. I usually don’t even add sugar to my black teas unless the tea is of lower quality.
Ahem, why yes, I am a tea snob.
The citrus flavor from the lemon verbena gives black tea an Earl Grey flavor. (Earl Grey is black tea with bergamot, a citrus fruit, flavors.)
If you’re using Earl Grey tea to cold brew, the lemon verbena honey syrup will enhance the citrus notes even more.
The cold brew iced tea part takes at least eight hours (haha, that almost seems like a cruel joke, but yes, it’s true, it takes a while) so you do need a little patience.
Trust me, it’ll be worth it. Because it’s a cold brew, it’ll taste super smooth and have very little bitterness.
Lemon Verbena Honey Simple Syrup
The cold brew may take some time but the lemon verbena honey simple syrup comes together in minutes.
The honey syrup is made by just heating up water and honey then steeping the dried lemon verbena leaves.
I like to make a small batch at a time since it’s so quick and easy to make. You just need to cool down the syrup before adding it into the iced tea.
Pairing Black Iced Tea with Food
If you’re looking to pair this iced tea with food, savories would be best. Since black tea is stronger, it can go well with heavier food.
Black tea is the classic pairing at afternoon tea. (See my Tea Pairing 101: Black Tea post where tea sandwiches are paired with three black teas.)
Iced Tea with Lemon Verbena Honey Syrup
COLD BREWED ICED TEA INGREDIENTS
- 4 cups water
- 4 teaspoons [loose black tea]
HONEY SYRUP INGREDIENTS
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons [dried lemon verbena leaves]
- In a pitcher, stir in 4 teaspoons of loose leaf tea into 4 cups of cold or room temperature water.
- Cover and refrigerate for about eight hours or overnight. Strain tea leaves or tea bag and discard.
- In a small saucepan, combine honey, water, and dried lemon verbena leaves and simmer on low for 2-3 minutes until honey dissolves.
- Turn off heat and let lemon verbena steep for about 10 minutes. Strain out lemon verbena leaves and discard. Let simple syrup cool, then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- When ready to drink, pour iced tea into a glass and add simple syrup to taste.