Matcha is meant to be paired with something sweet so it works beautifully with white hot chocolate. This green tea and hot chocolate drink is made even better with toasted marshmallows.
Matcha Green Tea Hot Chocolate
Damn, how good does that drink look? Answer: VERY VERY GOOD.
I love hot chocolate and I love matcha so this matcha white hot chocolate brings my favorites together in one delicious drink.
What’s it taste like? It’s like a rich, creamy, and sweetened matcha latte. So good.
The recipe is really simple and comes together in minutes.
This post contains affiliate links.
Here’s What I Used to Make This Recipe:
Using Matcha in Recipes
There are multiple grades of matcha (powered green tea) and you don’t want to use the highest/most expensive when adding them to a recipe. In the United States, they’ll label higher end matcha as Ceremonial Grade (no such labeling exists in Japan, it’s strictly for marketing purposes) and lower grade matcha as Culinary or Cooking Grade.
I like to go for good matcha in the $20 – $30 range when incorporating matcha into recipes.
What makes it a good matcha? Color is the best indicator. It should be as close to vibrant green as possible. The super low-end matcha is a very dull, almost grey, green — no bueno.
You may see sweetened matcha which comes with added sugar, but I usually tend to stay away from those and add my own sweetener, like honey, if it’s needed.
Just a note, matcha has a high level of caffeine, so it may not make the best nighttime beverage.
Matcha (Green Tea) Hot Chocolate Recipe Tips
- Milk burns easily so always put it on simmer, never boil.
- Sifting matcha is the key to a smooth matcha beverage. Don’t skip this step otherwise you’ll just have to deal with clumpy matcha.
- Instead of a handheld whisk, you can use a latte maker. I have one and I love it.
- If you like your hot chocolate to be thicker, add a little more white chocolate.
Matcha Hot Chocolate
- In a saucepan, bring milk to a simmer over medium-low heat. Take off heat and whisk or stir in chopped white chocolate.
- Sift in matcha, honey, and salt until well combined.
- Pour matcha hot chocolate into two mugs and if you would like, top with toasted pink marshmallows.