Sweetened naturally with watermelons, make this layered iced matcha your new summer drink.
Who knew matcha and watermelon would go so well together? MatchaBar in Brooklyn apparently. I ordered this drink on a visit and enjoyed it so much (and I recently have been on a blending binge with a newly acquired Vitamix) I wanted to try making it on my own.
Because the watermelon is sweet there’s no need to add any sugar.
(I love the look of the stacked layers of color.)
This post contains affiliate links.
What I Used to Make This Iced Matcha Watermelon Tea
- A bright green matcha in the $15 – $25 price range.
- Cubed watermelon and ice cubes.
- A Vitamix which has changed my life. No joke, it’s really amazing.
- To make matcha, I used a bowl, measuring spoon, mesh strainer, and a whisk.
- To get the water temperature just right, I used my electric kettle.
- Glass cups to show off the layered colors.
I prepared the matcha for this drink the traditional way with a sifter, whisk, and hot water. I made sure to cool the matcha a bit before adding to the iced watermelon.
ICED MATCHA (GREEN TEA) WATERMELON TEA
Makes 2 servings
2 cups seeded and cubed watermelon
1/2 cup hot water (preferably 170°F)
1 teaspoon matcha
Optional: watermelon wedges
In a small bowl, whisk together sifted matcha and hot water. Set aside and let cool.
Puree watermelon in a blender until smooth.
Into two cups filled with ice, pour in the watermelon puree first halfway, followed by a layer of matcha. Garnish with watermelon wedges.
Recommended for This Recipe
Get My Top 8 Matcha Recipes!
Subscribe to my newsletter and get my matcha ebook!