Covered in matcha sugar, these green tea meltaway cookies are perfect when paired with tea.
Matcha Meltaway Cookies
Queenie, who comes up with the best matcha recipes for this blog, came up with this adorable mini matcha lemon meltaway cookie recipe. It goes so great with green tea — hot or cold.
I’m warning you now, these cookies are highly addictive so make them at your own risk. They’re tiny, but pack a sugary, lemony, matcha punch.
This post contains affiliate links.
What We Used to Make Matcha Lemon Meltaway Cookies
Look to spend $15 – $30 regardless of whether it’s labeled ceremonial or cooking grade.
- All purpose flour, powdered sugar, unsalted butter, lemon, cornstarch, and salt.
- Stand mixer
- Mixing bowls
- Parchment paper
- Cookie tray
- Saran wrap
- Zip lock bag
Look how vibrant green the dough is!
Get good quality matcha to get a nice bright green color. The higher the matcha quality, the brighter and more vibrant the green.
Having said that, don’t get the super expensive matcha since the subtle flavors will be wasted in a recipe.
Each matcha cookie is made the same size by using a measuring spoon and formed into a ball.
The hardest part is waiting for the cookie dough to chill in the fridge before they get popped in the oven.
Don’t get me started on my new addiction to matcha sugar.
The recipe calls for a tad more matcha sugar than needed since you want enough to get an even coat, but don’t worry, you can use that same matcha sugar to sweeten your matcha drinks.
The recipe makes a whopping 100 of these mini cookies but you don’t have to make them all at once. The unbaked dough can be stored in the freezer until your next tea gathering.
Matcha (Green Tea) Lemon Meltaway Cookies
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 stick + 6 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- 3 tablespoons matcha
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
Matcha Sugar Ingredients
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons matcha
- The Matcha Cookie Dough
- In a mixing bowl, mix together butter, powdered sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and matcha. In another bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, and salt then add to mixture in the mixing bowl. Mix to form dough.
- Weigh out 6 grams of dough (roughly about a tablespoon) and roll into a ball. Place balls on a parchment lined sheet tray and cover with saran wrap to chill in the refrigerate for at least an hour. The dough can be kept in the freezer for up to a month.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. With balls spaced at least an inch and a half apart on the parchment lined sheet tray, bake for 15 minutes on the middle rack.
- The Matcha Sugar
- Combine matcha sugar ingredients in a large resealable plastic bag.
- Once they have cooled a bit but still slightly warm, toss 5–7 cookies in the matcha sugar mix in the plastic bag. Toss again in matcha sugar mix once cooled.
7 thoughts on “Matcha (Green Tea) Lemon Meltaway Cookies”
A 6g ball of dough is tiny. I used 10g of dough, a 1in diameter ball, for a better sized cookie. Made 60.
Turned out great! Bringing them to work today
Hi Billie, wonderful!!
Hi , when you say 1 stick of butter , what is the exact quAntity? Since it varies from country to country
Hi Sanaya, 8 tablespoons is a stick of butter. Thanks for the question!
Our company just received a new shipment from Japan and it is listed on Amazon. for our Awareness Promotion” you can purchase Jun Nippon Matcha on Amazon.
We are giving away $2 off coupon to increase the awareness of the benefits of drinking matcha – green tea powder, and at the same time lose weight and detox body.
Email [email protected] to receive your individual $2 off coupon. This is an awareness promotion and when the supply runs out, the promotion will end.
Wow. What a clever recipe. Can’t wait to try it! If you’re looking for awesome Matcha for the recipe, try Culinary Teas. We have a Matcha Starter Kit, accessories, and excellent Japanese Matcha here: https://culinaryteas.com/collections/matcha. Save with code MATCHA at checkout!