Frozen Hibiscus Lemonade
on Jan 03, 2024
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Refreshing and perfectly sweet-tart, this frozen hibiscus lemonade is ready in 3 minutes! All you need is 4 ingredients and a blender.
Easy Frozen Hibiscus Lemonade
This pretty pink frozen lemonade is the perfect combination of sweet and tart. It combines hibiscus syrup with lemonade to make a refreshing chilled drink that’s great on hot summer days.
Hibiscus syrup is made by simmering hibiscus tea in sugar and water. The herbal tea is naturally caffeine-free and has a tart, cranberry-like flavor.
Homemade lemonade has the best flavor, but to make this drink, you can also use store-bought lemonade. Since the drink is sweetened by the syrup, pick a lemonade that has less sugar for a balanced drink.
RELATED: 17 Best Lemonade Recipes
- Frozen hibiscus lemonade is made from 4 ingredients, including lemonade, hibiscus syrup, xanthan gum, and ice.
- The trick to a smooth and luscious frozen hibiscus lemonade is xanthan gum, a powder that helps thicken food and drinks. It’s what creates that Frappuccino-like texture.
- Both the lemonade and hibiscus syrup are sweet so there’s no need for additional sugar.
- This recipe makes a 16 ounce (2 cup) drink, but just double the recipe to make a liter. Just be careful not to overload the blender.
RELATED: Hibiscus Lemonade
- Lemonade: Make lemonade from scratch or get your favorite grocery store brand.
- Hibiscus syrup: If making the syrup, be sure to use hibiscus tea or dried loose hibiscus that’s food safe. You can also get a store-bought syrup.
- Xanthan gum: This common additive is an all-natural ingredient used to thicken drinks such as smoothies and protein shakes. It’s made from fermented corn starch.
- Ice: Use ice made from filtered water for the best tasting drink.
For full ingredients and detailed instructions, please see the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Step 1: Pour lemonade, xanthan gum, and hibiscus syrup into blender.
Step 2: Add ice to the blender last and secure the lid.
Step 3: Blend on low for a few seconds, then increase speed to high until the mixture is smooth.
Step 4: Pour frozen hibiscus lemonade into cup. Serve immediately.
Add the ice in last for better blending.
For the most efficient blending, pour the lemonade and hibiscus syrup into the blender first, followed by the xanthan gum and ice. Liquids should always go into the blender to prevent air pockets.
Use a blender tamper to move the ingredients around and ensure that the ice is properly crushed.
Don’t skip the xanthan gum.
Xanthan gum is an essential ingredient that helps smoothes out and thicken frozen drinks. It prevents the lemonade and ice from separating.
It’s also the primary ingredient in homemade Starbucks Frappuccino Base and used often in gluten-free baking.
Make the hibiscus syrup ahead of time.
If using homemade hibiscus syrup, prepare it in advance so it has time to cool. The syrup can be stored for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
- If you want more control over the sweetness level, opt for a homemade lemonade.
- Add extra lemon juice if you prefer a tart drink.
- For a pretty finishing touch, line the cup with a couple of lemon slices before pouring in the frozen lemonade.
- Garnish the drink with fresh mint or basil.
- To use up leftover hibiscus syrup, make Strawberry Hibiscus Iced Tea, Hibiscus Strawberry Bubble Tea, or Hibiscus Cold Foam.
Questions You May Have
Hibiscus tea is caffeine-free herbal tea, also known as a tisane.
While you don’t need to use a Vitamix blender, it is important to use a blender that can handle ice, otherwise your drink may not turn out as smooth.
- Frozen Pink Tea Latte
- Hibiscus Cold Foam
- Strawberry Green Tea Lemonade
- Butterfly Pea Flower Lemonade
- Strawberry Hibiscus Iced Tea
- Rose Lemonade
If you tried this Frozen Hibiscus Lemonade recipe, please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ star rating and let me know how you like it in the comments below.
Frozen Hibiscus Lemonade
- 1 cup lemonade
- 3 tablespoons hibiscus syrup
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1½ cups ice
- Place lemonade, hibiscus syrup, xanthan gum, and ice in a blender. Secure the lid. Put the ingredients into the blender in the order listed.
- Blend until the hibiscus lemonade is smooth.Start the blender on LOW speed for 5 seconds. Increase speed to HIGH for 1 minute.
- Pour frozen hibiscus lemonade into a cup and serve immediately.Optional: Line the cup with sliced lemons.
- Make lemonade from scratch or use your favorite grocery store brand.
- Prepare homemade hibiscus syrup in advance so it has time to cool. It can be stored for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
- Xanthan gum is an essential ingredient that helps smoothes out and thicken frozen drinks. It prevents the lemonade and ice from separating.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.