Add a little sweetness and burst of brightness to tea, iced and hot, with homemade lemon syrup. Super easy to make with just 3 ingredients!
About This Lemon Syrup
- Lemon syrup is a lemon flavored simple syrup (liquid sugar) made with three ingredients: sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest. It’s super easy to make at home.
- It can be used to flavor and sweeten hot and cold drinks like tea and coffee. It’s especially great in iced tea since it mixes well with the cold beverage unlike sugar which can sink straight to the bottom of the cup.
- Add it to iced tea so instantly make an Arnold Palmer drink or a lemon iced tea.
- The recipe makes a cup of syrup, which can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 weeks.
Regular white sugar or cane sugar can be used. Brown sugar can be used too but the syrup will be a brown color instead of yellow.
- Lemon juice
About 6 lemons will be enough for this recipe. Use a citrus juicer to freshly squeeze the lemons.
- Lemon zest
This is the yellow part of the peel of a lemon. Make sure the peel is thoroughly cleaned before zesting. Use a grater to scrape the yellow peel but make sure not to add the white part of the lemon which can make it taste bitter. You’ll only need the zest from one lemon for this recipe.
Steps to Make Lemon Syrup
Here’s a quick overview of the steps to make this syrup. For full ingredients and instructions, scroll down to the recipe.
- Put all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer.
Stir to make sure sugar dissolves completely.
- Take off heat and cool.
- Strain and pour syrup into an airtight container.
Notes & Tips
- The recipe makes a cup of lemon syrup which is 16 tablespoons. Use 1-2 tablespoons to flavor and sweeten a cup of tea.
- This simple syrup will keep for about 3 weeks when stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Use lemon syrup on pancakes or drizzled on slices of pound cake. Add it to sparkling water to get fizzy lemonade.
- Don’t cook it for too long otherwise it’ll get too thick and won’t be as easy to add to iced drinks.
Questions You May Have
Nope, a simmer is all you need to fully dissolve the sugar into the lemon juice.
Lemonade is basically diluted lemon syrup. You can add water to the lemon syrup and make homemade lemonade.
I place a mesh strainer on top of the funnel and strain the syrup straight into the glass bottle.
More Simple Syrups
Simple Lemon Syrup
- ¾ cup lemon juice (6 lemons)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Put all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer.Stir to make sure sugar dissolves completely.
- Take off heat and cool.
- Strain and pour syrup into an airtight container.Use a mesh strainer to separate the lemon zest from the syrup. The syrup will keep for up to 3 weeks in the refrigerator.
- Recipe makes 1 cup (16 tablespoons) of lemon syrup.
- Use 1-2 tablespoons of syrup for each cup.