Want to make a matcha latte granita? Make a matcha green tea latte and freeze it! This is next level matcha goodness.
Want to save this article?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox. Plus, get recipes & tips every week!
Matcha Green Tea Latte Granita
What’s more refreshing than an iced matcha latte on a hot day? Duh, a matcha latte granita!
A granita is an Italian frozen treat that’s basically a poor man’s shaved ice in that it’s coarser and crunchier.
I can chug down an iced matcha latte in less than five seconds but with this granita version, it takes slightly longer….maybe a couple of minutes?
This post contains affiliate links.
What I Used to Make This Matcha Latte Granita
How to Make Matcha Latte Granita
This recipe is a quick one to figure out — make a matcha latte then freeze it. I sweetened the deal by topping it off with a little bit of condensed milk.
I’m not going to lie, after you freeze the matcha latte, it’s a bit of a workout to scrape the granita. Get ready to roll up your sleeves for this one.
It’s a bit easier if you let it sit out for a few minutes before you start scraping away with a fork to break up the icy block. Still, it’ll be work.
To freeze the granita quicker and to make the scraping of the granita easier, get a bigger baking dish so the liquid isn’t more than an inch deep. (I used a smaller baking dish since I didn’t have room in my freezer for a bigger one.)
I didn’t add any sweeteners to the matcha latte itself since I was topping it with condensed milk. If you’re not going with the condensed milk, mix in a tablespoon of honey or sugar into the matcha latte before freezing.
Matcha Latte Granita Tips
- Sift matcha to make the matcha latte smooth and without clumps.
- If you don’t have a matcha whisk, use a regular whisk or a spoon to stir.
- The thinner the frozen matcha latte is in the baking dish, the easier it is to break apart the granita.
Matcha (Green Tea) Latte Granita
- In a small bowl, sift matcha then add water. Whisk to combine until clumps are gone.
- Pour into a baking dish. Stir in milk.
- Freeze matcha latte for 4 hours or until almost frozen through.
- When ready to serve, take out of freezer and let sit for about 10 minutes. Using a fork, scrape off the ice to get granular pieces of ice.
- Scoop granita into glasses and drizzle with sweetened condensed milk. Serve immediately.