Want to make a matcha latte granita? Make a matcha green tea latte and freeze it! This is next level matcha goodness.
Matcha Green Tea Latte Granita
What’s more refreshing than an iced matcha latte on a hot day? Duh, a matcha latte granita!
A granita is an Italian frozen treat that’s basically a poor man’s shaved ice in that it’s coarser and crunchier.
I can chug down an iced matcha latte in less than five seconds but with this granita version, it takes slightly longer….maybe a couple of minutes?
This post contains affiliate links.
What I Used to Make This Matcha Latte Granita
How to Make Matcha Latte Granita
This recipe is a quick one to figure out — make a matcha latte then freeze it. I sweetened the deal by topping it off with a little bit of condensed milk.
I’m not going to lie, after you freeze the matcha latte, it’s a bit of a workout to scrape the granita. Get ready to roll up your sleeves for this one.
It’s a bit easier if you let it sit out for a few minutes before you start scraping away with a fork to break up the icy block. Still, it’ll be work.
To freeze the granita quicker and to make the scraping of the granita easier, get a bigger baking dish so the liquid isn’t more than an inch deep. (I used a smaller baking dish since I didn’t have room in my freezer for a bigger one.)
I didn’t add any sweeteners to the matcha latte itself since I was topping it with condensed milk. If you’re not going with the condensed milk, mix in a tablespoon of honey or sugar into the matcha latte before freezing.
Matcha Latte Granita Tips
- Sift matcha to make the matcha latte smooth and without clumps.
- If you don’t have a matcha whisk, use a regular whisk or a spoon to stir.
- The thinner the frozen matcha latte is in the baking dish, the easier it is to break apart the granita.
Matcha (Green Tea) Latte Granita
- In a small bowl, sift matcha then add water. Whisk to combine until clumps are gone.
- Pour into a baking dish. Stir in milk.
- Freeze matcha latte for 4 hours or until almost frozen through.
- When ready to serve, take out of freezer and let sit for about 10 minutes. Using a fork, scrape off the ice to get granular pieces of ice.
- Scoop granita into glasses and drizzle with sweetened condensed milk. Serve immediately.