A green spin on a classic ice cream float made with matcha green tea. With a matcha syrup base, this bubbly matcha ice cream float is great for green tea lovers!
I LOVE root beer floats. Every summer I hunt down Abita root beer (the best!) to make ice cream floats.
It’s bubbly, sweet, and basically dessert in a tall glass.
I wanted to try making a matcha version and used the same idea of taking a soda base and adding ice cream.
I recently made matcha soda so this recipe was super easy to figure out since the all I needed to do was add ice cream.
This post contains affiliate links.
What I Used to Make This Matcha Ice Cream Float
- A bright green matcha in the $15 – $25 range.
- Vanilla ice cream, carbonated water, and sugar.
- Saucepan with spout for easy pouring, measuring cup, and an ice cream scoop.
- A mesh strainer to sift the matcha.
- A nice tall glass to serve the ice cream float.
The first step is to make the matcha syrup which is the base for a matcha soda.
Next is the bubbly part. Add seltzer water about halfway.
Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Then another scoop.
Top the whole thing with more seltzer water and watch it fizz.
Done! Just make sure to stir everything together with a spoon or straw to make sure the matcha syrup from the bottom gets mixed with the seltzer water and the ice cream.
Matcha Ice Cream Float Tips
- Use seltzer water instead of club soda or sparkling water since it has the cleanest taste without the mineral flavor.
- Try matcha ice cream instead of vanilla if you want it to be super matcha-y.
- I add ice cream halfway so that the drink doesn’t overflow and cause a mess.
Matcha (Green Tea) Ice Cream Float
Makes 1 serving
1/2 can seltzer water
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
2 scoops vanilla ice cream
2 teaspoons matcha
Make simple syrup by adding sugar and water into a saucepan and bringing it to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
Stir in sifted matcha into the simple syrup and let cool.
In a tall glass, pour in cooled down matcha simple syrup. Add 1/4 cup seltzer water.
Scoop in ice cream and top drink with more seltzer water.