Warm up this winter with a pumpkin spice latte made with chai (instead of coffee), pumpkin spice, and pumpkin puree.
About This Pumpkin Spice Chai Latte
A chai twist on a pumpkin spice latte by taking out the coffee and making it with tea instead. You’ll be surprised at how easy it is to make this tasty latte at home.
- Made from scratch using chai, a spiced black tea, real pumpkin (you can buy this in a can), and homemade pumpkin spice. Brown sugar and vanilla extract take this latte up another notch.
- Pumpkin spice are a blend of four spices used to flavor a pumpkin pie: cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves.
- Can be made with your favorite chai loose tea, tea sachets, or tea bags.
- Make it cafe-quality by topping off the drink with a perfect layer of froth by using an electric milk frother or a French press.
Tea Sommelier’s Tip: Make a batch of pumpkin spice syrup and add it to warm milk for kids. No caffeine!
Use loose tea (like I did here), tea sachets, or tea bags. Tea bags are the easiest to use and what I would recommend for this recipe. With all the other flavors that goes into this drink, you don’t need the highest quality chai.
- Pumpkin puree
Canned pumpkin puree is cooked pumpkin and this is where the pumpkin flavor comes from. Get a can of puree for less than $2.
- Ground cinnamon, ground ginger, ground nutmeg, ground cloves
These four spices make up the pumpkin spice blend.
- Brown sugar
Gives the drink a deeper, richer flavor.
- Vanilla extract
Makes every drink I make even better as a flavor enhancer.
Any kind of milk can be used.
Here’s a quick overview of the steps to make this drink. For full ingredients and instructions, scroll down to see the recipe.
Steps to Make Pumpkin Spice Chai Latte
- Heat pumpkin puree and spices on low heat.
- Add milk, brown sugar, and chai tea bags.
If you’re using loose tea, put the tea into a tea filter bag.
- Simmer on low for five minutes then take off heat. Discard tea bags and add vanilla extract.
Keep stirring while on the stovetop so that pumpkin puree is completely incorporated into the milk.
- Froth pumpkin spice chai latte.
Use an electric milk frother or French press to froth.
- Pour latte into two cups.
Notes & Tips
- When it comes to lattes, it’s all about heating on simmer so make sure the heat is always on low. If the heat is too high, the milk may boil, which is what you don’t want.
- In other tea latte recipes, I like to put loose tea right into the milk without a tea filter bag but for this recipe, it’s easier to use chai tea bags.
- The easiest way to froth the drink is to put it into an electric milk frother.
- To froth in a French press, pour the drink into one, filling it halfway. Put the lid on and pump the plunger a few times until the drink doubles in volume. And done!
- Pumpkin Spice Latte (with coffee)
- Pumpkin Spice Syrup from Scratch
- Decadent Chai Latte
- Iced Chai Latte
- Chai Frappuccino
Free Tea Cheat Sheets
Join my email list and get instant access to all my cheat sheets!
Pumpkin Spice Chai Latte
- Heat pumpkin puree and spices on low heat.In a saucepan, stir together pumpkin puree, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg. Use a spoon to mash the ingredients.
- Add milk, brown sugar, and chai tea bags.If you're using loose tea, put the tea into a tea filter bag.
- Simmer on low for five minutes then take off heat. Discard tea bags and add vanilla extract.Keep stirring while on the stovetop so that pumpkin puree is completely incorporated into the milk and the sugar has dissolved.
- Froth pumpkin spice chai latte. Pour drink into an electric milk frother or French press to froth. To froth in a French press, fill it halfway with the latte and pump the plunger up and down a few times until the drink doubles in volume.
- Pour latte into two cups.