Chai frappuccino is a frozen drink made easy and delicious at home with just 5 ingredients. Sweet and so refreshing, it makes for a perfect summer treat!
Homemade Chai Frappuccino
- A chai frappuccino is a frozen drink made in a blender in seconds.
- Chai is a drink made with black tea and spices.
- It originated in India and the word chai means “tea.”
- It’s sweet, creamy, and super refreshing.
- Topped with decadent whipped cream.
3 SHORTCUTS to Make it Easy
- Chai Tea Bags
Using a tea bag makes it easier to clean up since there’s no loose tea to strain.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
This one ingredient replaces sugar and milk. It comes in a can so keep a couple in the pantry for whenever you have a frappuccino craving.
- Handheld Milk Frother
No need for a stand mixer to make whipped cream. Use a handheld milk frother and it’ll make 2 servings of perfect whipped cream in seconds with very little cleanup.
Chai Frappuccino IngredientS
- Chai tea bags
- Filtered water
Use filtered water if possible since it’ll make a better tasting chai. (Use filtered water for the ice too.)
- Sweetened condensed milk
It’s used twice in this recipe — for the chai frappuccino and for the whipped cream.
I like using smaller ice cubes like this one since it’s quicker to blend evenly.
- Heavy cream
For making the whipped cream topping.
- Optional garnishes: Ground cinnamon and whole star anise
How to Make Chai Frappuccinos
- Make tea
- Make whipped cream topping
- Assemble drink
1: Make tea
Boil water and steep tea for 5 minutes.
An electric kettle with a temperature setting is great for boiling water quick. Set the water temperature to 190°F.
If you’re boiling water on the stovetop, turn off the heat as soon as it starts to simmer.
Use filtered water if possible for a better tasting tea. I also use filtered water to make ice.
Steep chai tea bags in hot water for 5 minutes. Discard tea bags.
Tea Sommelier’s Tip: I’m usually an advocate for loose tea but for drinks where the tea is used with other ingredients, stick with tea sachets or tea bags — there’s no need to get the highest quality tea.
2: Make whipped cream topping
Whip together heavy cream and sweetened condensed milk in a tall container using a handheld milk frother until you get medium peaks. Set aside.
4: Assemble drink
Each serving goes into a 17 oz cup. A Starbucks grande is 16 oz.
Spoon on the whipped cream.
Serve with a straw and drink immediately.
Chai Frappuccino Tips
- Not all chai tastes the same. Every tea company sells their own chai blend made up of different spices.
- Use the blender tamper tool — it’ll make a big difference in how smooth it turns out.
- For a caramel chai flavor, replace the sweetened condensed milk with the same amount of dulce de leche.
- Whipped cream can be made ahead of time and kept in the refrigerator.
Questions You May Have
Replace 4 chai tea bags with 2 tablespoons of loose chai tea or 4 chai tea sachets.
Yes, there’s caffeine in black tea.
Yes. In the US, we just shorten masala chai as just chai.
- Easy Frappuccino Recipes
- Iced Chai Latte from Scratch
- Mocha Frappuccino
- Delicious Thai Tea Frappuccino
- Coffee Frappuccino
Frozen Chai Latte
- Boil water.An electric kettle with a temperature setting is great for boiling water quick. Set the water temperature to 190°F. If you’re boiling water on the stovetop, turn off the heat as soon as it starts to simmer.
- Steep tea for 5 minutes.Steep chai tea bags in hot water for 5 minutes. Discard tea bags.
MAKE WHIPPED CREAM
- Whip together heavy cream and sweetened condensed milk.Combine heavy cream and 1 tablespoon of sweetened condensed milk in a tall container (it’ll double in volume). Whip using a handheld milk frother until you get medium peaks. Set aside.
- Blend tea, ice, and sweetened condensed milk until smooth.Use the blender tamper tool since it’ll make your frappuccino smoother.
- Pour frozen Chai into two cups.
- Top with whipped cream.Optional: Sprinkle on a little ground cinnamon and add a star anise as garnish.Serve with a straw and drink immediately.
Iced Tea Cheat Sheet
Join my email list and get instant access to this iced tea cheat sheet!