Chai frappuccino is a frozen drink made easy and delicious at home with just 5 ingredients. Sweet and so refreshing, it makes for a perfect summer treat!
Homemade Chai Frappuccino
- A chai frappuccino is a frozen drink made in a blender in seconds.
- Chai is a drink made with black tea and spices.
- It originated in India and the word chai means “tea.”
- It’s sweet, creamy, and super refreshing.
- Topped with decadent whipped cream.
3 SHORTCUTS to Make it Easy
- Chai Tea Bags
Using a tea bag makes it easier to clean up since there’s no loose tea to strain.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
This one ingredient replaces sugar and milk. It comes in a can so keep a couple in the pantry for whenever you have a frappuccino craving.
- Handheld Milk Frother
No need for a stand mixer to make whipped cream. Use a handheld milk frother and it’ll make 2 servings of perfect whipped cream in seconds with very little cleanup.
Chai Frappuccino IngredientS
- Chai tea bags
- Filtered water
Use filtered water if possible since it’ll make a better tasting chai. (Use filtered water for the ice too.)
- Sweetened condensed milk
It’s used twice in this recipe — for the chai frappuccino and for the whipped cream.
I like using smaller ice cubes like this one since it’s quicker to blend evenly.
- Heavy cream
For making the whipped cream topping.
- Optional garnishes: Ground cinnamon and whole star anise
How to Make Chai Frappuccinos
- Make tea
- Make whipped cream topping
- Assemble drink
1: Make tea
Boil water and steep tea.
An electric kettle with a temperature setting is great for boiling water quick. Set the water temperature to 190°F. If you’re boiling water on the stovetop, turn off the heat as soon as it starts to simmer.
Use filtered water if possible for a better tasting tea. I also use filtered water to make ice.
Tea Sommelier’s Tip: I’m usually all for loose tea but for drinks where the tea is used with other ingredients, stick with tea sachets or tea bags — there’s no need to get the highest quality tea.
2: Make whipped cream topping
Whip together heavy cream and sweetened condensed milk in a tall container using a handheld milk frother until you get medium peaks. Set aside.
4: Assemble drink
Each serving goes into a 17 oz cup. A Starbucks grande is 16 oz.
Spoon on the whipped cream.
Serve with a straw and drink immediately.
Chai Frappuccino Tips
- Not all chai tastes the same. Every tea company sells their own chai blend made up of different spices.
- Use the blender tamper tool — it’ll make a big difference in how smooth it turns out.
- For a caramel chai flavor, replace the sweetened condensed milk with the same amount of dulce de leche.
- Whipped cream can be made ahead of time and kept in the refrigerator.
Questions You May Have
Replace 4 chai tea bags with 2 tablespoons of loose chai tea or 4 chai tea sachets.
Yes, there’s caffeine in black tea.
Yes. In the US, we just shorten masala chai as just chai.
- Easy Frappuccino Recipes
- Iced Chai Latte from Scratch
- Mocha Frappuccino
- Delicious Thai Tea Frappuccino
- Coffee Frappuccino
Frozen Chai Latte
- Boil water.An electric kettle with a temperature setting is great for boiling water quick. Set the water temperature to 190°F. If you’re boiling water on the stovetop, turn off the heat as soon as it starts to simmer.
- Steep tea for 5 minutes.Steep chai tea bags in hot water for 5 minutes. Discard tea bags.
MAKE WHIPPED CREAM
- Whip together heavy cream and sweetened condensed milk.Combine heavy cream and 1 tablespoon of sweetened condensed milk in a tall container (it’ll double in volume). Whip using a handheld milk frother until you get medium peaks. Set aside.
- Blend tea, ice, and sweetened condensed milk until smooth.Use the blender tamper tool since it’ll make your frappuccino smoother.
- Pour frozen Chai into two cups.
- Top with whipped cream.Optional: Sprinkle on a little ground cinnamon and add a star anise as garnish.Serve with a straw and drink immediately.
The nutrition information is an estimate calculated using an online nutrition calculator.
Iced Tea Cheat Sheet
Join my email list and get instant access to this iced tea cheat sheet!