Sweetened frozen green tea latte made with Japanese matcha powder. This delicious matcha frappuccino takes seconds to make in a blender!
Want to save this article?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox. Plus, get recipes & tips every week!
Matcha Green Tea Frappuccino
- A frozen blended green tea drink perfect for a hot summer day.
- Made with matcha, a Japanese green tea that has been processed and ground into a fine powder.
- Surprisingly easy to make at home in a blender.
- Made without artificial ingredients, unlike the Starbucks version.
- Perfectly sweet and delicious with a decadent cream topping.
3 Shortcuts to Make it Quick and Easy
Because matcha is a powder, there’s no tea to steep in hot water. It goes straight into the blender.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
Sweetens the drink and gives it a nice depth of flavor much more than regular sugar.
- Handheld Milk Frother
My trick to making whipped cream for drinks super easy, quick, and with very little cleanup.
Matcha Frappuccino INgredients
- Milk (any kind)
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Vanilla extract
The absolute best salt ever. EVER.
- Ice cubes
I like using small ice cubes since it breaks down quicker in the blender.
- Heavy cream
To make the whipped cream topping.
My Matcha Pick:
How to Make Matcha Frappuccinos
1. MAKE WHIPPED CREAM TOPPING
Whip heavy cream and sweetened condensed milk using a handheld milk frother until it doubles in volume and medium peaks form. Set aside.
Blend ice, milk, matcha, vanilla extract, salt, and sweetened condensed milk until smooth.
Use a blender tamper tool to make it super smooth. Get the right tamper tool for your blender.
Tea Sommelier’s Tip: The higher the quality matcha used, the brighter the green the frappuccino will be.
3. ASSEMBLE DRINK
Pour frozen drink into two cups. Each serving goes into a 17 oz cup. A Starbucks grande is 16 oz.
Spoon on the whipped cream and sift a little matcha on top with a mesh strainer as garnish.
Serve with a straw and drink immediately.
Matcha Frappuccino Tips
- To get the bright green color, use a good quality matcha. The less expensive the matcha (under $15), the duller the green and flatter the taste with more bitterness.
- Sift matcha into the blender to prevent matcha clumps in the drink.
- The whipped cream can be made 1-2 days ahead of time and kept in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Stir or re-whip for a couple of seconds to fluff it back up.
- Use any milk of your choice for this drink.
- Make sure to use a blender tamper tool to get the drink as smooth as possible.
Questions You May Have
Yes, matcha is made from green tea which has caffeine. Since the entire green tea leaf is grounded into a powder, there is more caffeine in matcha than in regular green tea.
Yes, but make sure your blender can handle ice.
The matcha you’re using is low quality. Look to spend $20 – $30 for a matcha with a nice, bright green color.
- Easy Frappuccino Recipes
- Super Easy Matcha Milkshake
- Layered Iced Matcha Latte
- Matcha Bubble Tea
- Hojicha Caramel Frappuccino
Quick & Easy Matcha Frappuccino
Frozen Matcha Latte
Whipped Cream Topping
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sweetened condensed milk
MAKE WHIPPED CREAM TOPPING
- Whip together heavy cream and sweetened condensed milk.Use a handheld milk frother and whisk until it doubles in volume and forms medium peaks. Set aside.
- Blend ice, milk, matcha, vanilla extract, salt, and sweetened condensed milk. Close blender lid securely, then turn on blender. Use blender tamper tool to get the perfect frappuccino texture. Blend until smooth.
- Pour frozen matcha latte into two cups.
- Top with whipped cream and garnish with sifted matcha.Use a spoon to dollop on whipped cream. Sift on a little matcha as garnish using a mesh strainer.Serve with a straw and drink immediately.
- Sift matcha into the blender using a mesh strainer to prevent matcha clumps.
- The whipped cream can be made 1-2 days ahead of time and kept in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
- Use good quality matcha to get the bright, green color.
- Use a blender tamper tool to make the frappuccino nice and smooth.