Iced matcha latte, matcha frappuccino, matcha milkshakes, oh my! If you’re looking for matcha green tea drinks, you’ve come to the right place!
What is Matcha?
- Matcha, that pretty green powder, is a tea that comes from Japan.
- A finely ground green tea, matcha is traditionally made into a drink by whisking it in hot water.
- Matcha usually costs more than other types of tea since there’s a lot more work involved to make it.
What to Look for When Buying Matcha
- Bright green color
The brighter the green, the better the quality of matcha. This also means that it’s more expensive.
- Made in Japan
Real matcha comes from Japan. The super cheap matcha (almost brown in color) are usually from outside Japan and are basically knock-offs.
- Ceremonial or Culinary Grade
Ceremonial and culinary grades are only given to matcha sold outside Japan and it’s purely done for marketing purposes in the US. Get the brightest green matcha within the $20-$30 range for lattes and recipes.
Matcha Drink Tips
- Sifting matcha using a mesh strainer helps to prevent clumps.
- For a pretty green color, go with a higher quality (and more expensive) matcha.
- Matcha is traditionally served with something sweet so adding a sweetener will enhance the flavor of your drink.
Delicious Matcha Drinks
Tea Sommelier’s Tip: Iced matcha drinks are really easy to make since all you need to do is shake matcha with water in an airtight container or cocktail shaker.
Free Matcha Cheat Sheet
Join my email list and get instant access to all my cheat sheets, including this matcha guide!