Looking for tea sandwich recipes for your next tea party? If you’re looking for finger sandwiches that are adorable and tasty, I’ve got them right here!
- Tea sandwiches are bite-sized sandwiches made to be eaten in the afternoon at tea time.
- Also called finger sandwiches, they should be easy to handle.
- Sized to be a light snack and to be eaten in 2-3 bites.
- Usually crustless to give it a dainty and delicate look.
- They’re the first course of an afternoon tea.
- Because they’re small, tea sandwiches are great finger foods to serve as appetizer for parties or for baby and bridal showers.
Tea Sandwich Tips
- Frozen bread cuts a lot more neatly than room temperature bread.
- Get a loaf of white bread that hasn’t been sliced and cut it horizontally to get the most surface area to cut bread circles out of.
- For messy fillings, it’s easier to handle if you put them into plastic sandwich bags and use it as a piping bag by cutting off a corner.
Questions You May Have
The sandwich fillings can usually be prepped a day or two before. Assemble the sandwiches the night before and cover with wax paper then a damp paper towel in an airtight container in the refrigerator. This will keep the sandwiches fresh overnight without drying out the bread.
To keep the sandwiches from becoming soggy, make sure that there is a layer of mayonnaise or butter on the side that is touching the bread. Cucumber sandwiches are the trickiest to keep fresh so I would recommend assembling the day of.
24 Tea Sandwiches for Tea Time
Serve these mini sandwiches with perfectly brewed tea and your guests will be raving!
Tea Sommelier’s Tip: Traditionally, black tea is served with afternoon tea and they pair great with tea sandwiches. I recommend whole loose tea like Ceylon or Darjeeling and you can’t go wrong with a classic like Earl Grey.
Tea Sommelier’s Tip: For each person, prepare 4 tea sandwiches if you’re serving these with scones and bite-sized sweets.
Free Tea Sandwich Tip Sheet
Join my free email list to get instant access to this tea sandwich tip sheet plus all my tea cheat sheets!